Reading: The Beatles

As I grew up I listened to the same music as my parents - no kiddie tapes for me - and because of that I have a deep appreciation for all types of music: bluegrass, beach music, classical, rock & roll and everything in between. One of my Dad's favorites was the Beatles, and now they are one of mine. When I was little my Dad still had all his records from college and he would let me pick an album, put it on the record player and gently put the needle in place. I knew all the lyrics to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the time I was 9. In 8th grade I wrote my first 'real' research paper (footnots, in-text citations, etc) on the Beatles. My thesis was "The Beatles are the most creative, innovative and prolific band of all time." I stood behind it then and I stand behind it now.



As if I needed more proof, I recently read The Beatles: The Biography by Bob Spitz. I got this for Christmas from my step-dad Bruce* many Christmases ago. At 900 pages, it would require quite a time committment because I didn't want to read it off and on while I was busy with school. I started reading it when I graduated from college and it still took a long time. I'm not going to lie: it's long, dense and contains a wealth of information. But I was hooked. The author goes in depth on topics that most Beatles legends only skim. I loved them before, but now I have such a huge (and I mean HUGE) respect for them as musicians. I could go on and on, but I will let you read for yourself.


*The first time I met Bruce he disarmed my usual mis-trust by striking up a conversation about the Beatles and I figured 'He can't be that bad.' When I left for college the next fall he gave me a Beatles poster for my dorm room. At that point I knew he was a good guy, so I'd let him keep seeing my Mom.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin