Does This Job Make Me Look Fat?

Holy paycheck, Batman! I'm employed! See, here's proof:

photo not-so-stealthily snapped with my phone in the middle of the day

No, I'm not important enough to have my own name plate. Why do you have to bring that up?

After months of fruitless job searching I signed on with a temp agency to make them do the work for me to expand my horizons. I sent a resume, did some skills assessments and met with a recruiter. Much to my dismay she was all "I'm not sure what to do with you. You're trained as a designer yet you're trying to find administrative work." Well, yeah. If there was design work available I WOULD BE APPLYING FOR IT. But there's not, thus the temp agency.

Jump forward 2 weeks and I get a call from my recruiter. There's an opening for a temp-to-hire* receptionist at an architecture firm. Is that something you would be interested in? Hell yes, lady! Sign me up! Granted it would be admin work, but I'm all about keeping a foot in the door. The temp agency forwarded my resume, the firm liked the look of it and invited me for an interview. At my interview they were super pleased that I have a design background, told me I would be able to assist the design team with various architect-y tasks and offered me a job on the spot. All I had to do was swing by my temp agency and fill out the paperwork.

I wanted to shout my good news from the rooftops on the internet but the hubby was more than a bit wary after my last job offer. For someone who claims not to be superstitious, he is very weird about sharing good news too soon for the fear it would jinx something. No matter how many signs pointed to yes they actually intend to let me come to their office and pay me for it he said he wouldn't consider me "having a job" until I was actually there and working.

Today was my second day, so I'm officially allowed to broadcast it. Heh. I'm getting settled and everyone seems very nice. There are even some familiar faces amongst the crowd, so that helps me feel more at home. Plus, you have to love a job where you're allowed to read if you have downtime.

*That means the job listing is for a short term contract, facilitated by the temp agency, and the company is free to hire me at the end of my contract if they think I'm cool. Which they'd better.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin