My Brand-New, Old Ottoman

If you read my baby blog, then you already know I hit up the yard sales on Saturday. If you don't read my baby blog, WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?

Anyway... In addition to the amazing deal I scored on a jogging stroller I also got this gorgeous vintage leather ottoman for $25.


Well, technically my father-in-law bought it for me for $25.

As soon as I saw that ottoman I fell in love with it. At $25 I thought it was a bargain, but there was something holding me back. A certain something that I happen to be married to and that can be quite closed-minded when it comes to decor.

Admittedly this ottoman may be a bit of an acquired taste. It's more than a bit quirky, but I love it for its style as well as what it represents to me. You see, when I was a kid my grandparents had an ottoman very similar to this one that they bought when they lived in Peru in the mid-1960's. So seeing this guy instantly brought back memories of my childhood. But what really sealed the deal was that, by some strange coincidence, my grandfather's initials were stamped into the leather on the bottom. No, I don't think this ottoman belonged to my grandparents, but I do think fate was trying to give a little shove. Despite all that I couldn't bring myself to buy it knowing the hubby could hate it. And since yard sales don't really have return policies, I was prepared to walk away but my father-in-law sweetly bought it for me. Maybe he couldn't stand the way I was awkwardly staring at it hoping no one else wanted it.

Luckily, once I got it home the hubby said it could stay. He was lukewarm at first but after an hour he decided it was pretty cool.

I am quite curious where the ottoman came from and when it was made - no, I didn't think to ask the woman who sold it to us - so I sent an email to Apartment Therapy. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new!

1 comment:

Jeo Fazzio said...

Lovely and good ottoman...
Nice to have with modern furniture.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin